Thanks to Twitter, I learned that today is White Sox play-by-play announcer Hawk Harrelson’s birthday. At the game last night (that was a win, thank GOD), Melissa, Matt and I were talking about Hawk Bingo and this morning I also decided to “establish” (i.e. Google to see if one already existed and then modify to my liking) a Hawk Harrelson Drinking Game.
I feel like there is no middle ground with Hawk – you either love him or hate him. But if nothing else, you can safely know that you will get MANY Hawk-isms per game.
Actually, this is one of those games that could turn dangerous quickly, so please make sure to hydrate with some water in-between innings!
Drink every time Hawk says the following:
- He gone!
- Get on back there!
- He goes back, looks up, you can put it on the boarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd, yes!
- We got a man there.
- And that’s a can o’corn
- Chopper two hopper
- Don’t stop now boys!
- Yes! (Hell Yes! also counts – see Dayan Viciedo’s homer to beat the Yankees earlier in the summer)
- When he says good guys (us)/bad guys (them)
- When he complains that the opposing pitcher is getting a strike zone much larger than the current White Sox hurler.
- I think a new one is also “Sully’s happy, and Mully’s happy.” I think this is in reference to Gordon Beckham’s mom and the dude from the Score because he only says this when Beckham homers or makes a clutch play (RBI, etc). He definitely said it last night when Gordo hit his two-run bomb.
- And then of course there’s always the chance of a rant against an umpire for a call against the Sox that he doesn’t agree with.
Because he says all of these things like 97 times per game, I am not encouraging chugging or taking shots – you’ll be bombed enough as it is.